Statement of Purpose
Rooted in the knowledge of the family of Christ throughout the world, the Subcommittee on Southeastern Mexico seeks to monitor and foster the Companionship between the Diocese of Chicago and the Diocese of Southeastern Mexico. Components of this relationship include sister parish relationships; regular bishop, clergy and lay visits to each other’s dioceses; communication between and within dioceses; and fundraising for special projects.
The Subcommittee is made up of representatives of Chicago Diocese parishes that maintain sister parish relationships in Southeastern Mexico and it meets bi-monthly to coordinate activities. Parishes interested in joining the Companionship should contact the chair of the Subcommittee, Gary Martin. To send a financial contribution to the Diocese of Southeastern Mexico please reference the Designation Form.
The Diocese of Chicago formed a companion relationship with the Diocese of Southeastern Mexico in 2001 for five years, and twice renewed the relationship at the 2006 and 2011 Annual Conventions.
Formed in 1989, the Diocese of Southeastern Mexico, the newest and smallest of the five dioceses in the Anglican Church of Mexico, has 12 clergy serving over 2,000 members in 20 missions and preaching stations. Most of the congregations are concentrated in just two states in the diocesan territory: Oaxaca and Veracruz. The diocese has started a self-supporting cattle raising project in Oaxaca state and has initiated a water ministry across the Diocese. Profits will be used to sustain church ministries.
- St. Mark’s, Glen Ellyn – San Marcos, Nigromante
- Contacts: George Smith
- St. Chrysostom’s; Church of Our Saviour, Chicago; Church of the Atonement; St. James Cathedral; Holy Comforter – Chiapas Ministry
- St. Mary’s, Park Ridge – San Juan Bautista, San Felipe
- Contact: Jackie Totsch
- Christ Church, Winnetka – Jesus de Nazaret, La Esperanza
- Contact: Gary Martin
- Grace Church, Galena – Santa Cruz, La Joya
- Transfiguration, Palos Park – Transfiguracion Nuevo Progreso
- Contact: Susan Cartee
- St. Mark’s, Glen Ellyn visits to partner San Marcos June 2018
- St Chrysostom’s, Chicago to Chiapas in January 2019
- St. Mark’s, Glen Ellyn; Church of Our Saviour, Chicago; and Christ Church, Winnetka attended the Annual Synod in March 2019
- Diocese of Southeastern Mexico
- Bishop: The Rt. Rev. Julio C. Martin
- Address: Av Las Americas #73, Col. Aguacatal, 91130 Xalapa, Vera Cruz, MEXICO
- Office phone: +52 (0)228 814 6951 Fax: +52 (0)228 814 4387
- Email: email@example.com