2020 Diocesan Convention
Due to Covid 19, this year’s Diocesan Convention will be held entirely online on Nov. 21 from 9 am to 3 pm. The Episcopal Diocese of Chicago has a long tradition of welcoming young leaders at diocesan convention as youth delegates, alternates, and general participants. We celebrate that young people are the church and affirm that we need their voice, gifts, and leadership to fully represent who we are as the body of Christ. Students in grades 9-12 are eligible to serve as one of the 12 Diocesan Youth Delegates who have seat, voice, and vote at Diocesan Convention. It is our goal to have a youth representative from each Deanery and geographic region of the diocese. High School Youth may also attend as alternate delegates or General Participants in Diocesan Convention.
We ask that high school youth wanting to serve as Diocesan Youth Delegates or Alternates contact the Associate for Youth Ministry before registration. Deadline is Oct. 1st, 2020. Delegates are selected by the Associate for Youth Ministry in consultation with diocesan staff and will be notified beginning in September. Online registration is now open!
Download the flyer here to share with youth in your church!
Diocesan Convention is both important and fun. We hope you will join us! Here are some of the things we do:
- Participate in voting on resolutions and elections to offices.
- Attend online keynote presentations and breakout sessions.
- Worship and pray with delegates, clergy, and participants from all over the diocese.
Contact the Associate for Youth and Campus Ministry at 312.751.6722 with questions or to find out more.
- Youth were granted seat, and voice at Diocesan Convention in 1998.
- Youth were granted seat, voice, and vote at Diocesan Convention in 2003.
- A Resolution urging congregations to create youth seats on Vestries and Bishop’s Committee’s was also passed in 2003.
- A high school student was elected First Alternate Deputy to General Convention 2006. He was 16 at the time of General Convention, the youngest deputy there. He was reelected to serve as a Deputy to General Convention in 2009 in Anaheim, CA.