On December 5, Bishop Lee called for a Special Convention for the Election of the Thirteenth Bishop of Chicago. The electing convention will take place June 20 at St. James Cathedral in Chicago. Bishop Lee will preside at the special convention, which is called solely for the purpose of the election. Due to the seating capacity of St. James Cathedral, attendance is limited to voting participants.
Special Convention Registration
Electors must register online for the special convention. Electors include:
- Clergy canonically resident in the diocese for at least 6 months immediately preceding the convention (by December 20, 2019)
- Three lay delegates from each parish, mission
- Two lay delegates from each campus ministry
- Up to twelve youth delegates from across the diocese (applications will be distributed by the Associate for Youth and Campus Ministry)
The registration cost is $10 per person and includes morning refreshments and lunch. Please complete the online registration form by May 31.
In addition to online registration, delegate certification forms are required for congregations, youth delegates, and campus ministries. Please complete the certification forms no later than April 30 and submit to Karin Gutierrez by email.
* Please note that once convention business begins, scheduled times for voting and breaks will be determined by the chair of convention.
- 8-10 am: Registration open in St. James Commons (65 E. Huron). Coffee and refreshments will be available.
- 10-11 am: Eucharist in St. James Cathedral
- 11:15 am: Convention Call to Order
Transportation, Parking and Lodging
Summer Saturdays are busy in Chicago, especially in the cathedral neighborhood, and using public transportation is strongly encouraged. Advance reservations for hotels and parking are strongly recommended where possible.
- Discounted parking is available at Millennium Center Self Park (33 W. Ontario) and Rush-Ohio-Wabash Self Park (50 E. Ohio St.)
- Parking apps like SpotHero and ParkWhiz may be helpful to reserve a space in advance
- Blocks of hotel rooms will be reserved. More information to come.
How to Follow the Election
Due to the seating capacity of St. James Cathedral, attendance at the special convention is limited to voting participants.